Here's were I rant about the arts. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm a scientist.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Catching Fire!

So I caught the newest volume of the Hunger Games series (Catching Fire) with my pops over Thanksgiving break.  This one did not disappoint.

First, let me say that this movie may be one of the most accurate adaptations of a book I've ever seen.  It was dead on and I was quite pleased.  There were extras of course because the books are told from Katniss Everdeen's (the protagonist played by the darling Jennifer Lawrence) perspective (it's all in first person) so whatever else that was going could not always been described in the book.  I thought the additions were fitting. 

The casting of new characters were also spot on, particularly with newcomers to the series Jena Malone and Sam Claflin (pictured above on the left and right) playing new tributes in the way I pictured they should, as well as, Jeffrey Wright playing a convincing brainiac and Philip Seymour Hoffman nailing the producer of the games.  Is he good?  Is he bad?  It's hard to tell.  Of course, readers of the books know.

Everything got better as a whole compared to the first Hunger games movie.  My only complaint is that I have wait to see the two part conclusion of the series.  Two parts?  From one book?  Ugh.  Greedy bastards. 

No comments: