Here's were I rant about the arts. Take it with a grain of salt, I'm a scientist.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Exit Through the Gift Shop

You may tell from the background on my blog that I'm a fan of graffiti art.  Ok, let me rephrase, I'm a fan of "poppy" art and graffiti often falls in that category.  I in no way am in support of breaking the law or damaging public property for the sake of art, but I have become a fan of some particular "street" artists, who do both those things, Banksy and Shepard Fairy to name a few.  (Yeah, that's why I have so many Obey t-shirts)  Recently, I checked out the documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop that basically highlights for the first time on film (as far as I can tell) these street artists and what and how they do the art they do.  It's really interesting!  To be honest, after seeing the film, I was a little inspired to make some art of my own, but I'll stick to written media for the sake of not getting arrested.  I recommend this doc for anyone interested in this new art form that is starting to get accepted in some of the more metropolitan areas of the world.  Below is a video of some of the bits and pieces of the film from its producers:

No comments: